This document is a research roadmap on urban freight and logistics delivered jointly by ERTRAC, the European Road Transport Research Advisory Council, and ALICE, Alliance for Logistics Innovation through Collaboration in Europe. The goal of the roadmap is to identify research priorities related to urban freight delivery, returns and urban logistics to improve the efficiency, sustainability and security of these activities. The contents will contribute to the definition of research programmes addressing the main stakeholders of the sector (cities, industry, retail, logistics service providers), including Horizon 2020, the European Framework Programme for Research and Innovation for 2014-2020.
The scope of the roadmap is urban freight transport, defined as all movements of goods into, out of, through or within the urban area, made by light or heavy vehicles, including:
- Delivery of goods (business and home);
- Service transport and demolition traffic;
- Shopping trips made by private households;
- Reverse logistics for waste removal and for returns management;
- Service vans for maintenance, supply and removal of parts.